Every taxpayer shall adhere with the tax registration when carrying out the entry procedures in the commercial registration at the Ministry of Commerce & Industry. The taxpayer shall notify the Tax Authority when not carrying out any entry in the commercial registration. The notification shall be prepared on the prescribed form for this purpose within (60) sixty days from the date of incorporation or the commencement of activity whichever is earlier.
In case of failure, the Tax Chairman shall impose a fine not exceeding 2,000 Omani Rial.
The tax rate upto tax year 2016 is as follows:
- The first thirty thousand Omani riyals nothing
- Exceeding R.O. 30,000 12%
The tax rate as of tax year 2017 tax year is as follows:
- Enterprise 3%
- Other Taxpayers 15%
Companies engaged in the field of oil exploration is 55% with respect to income from the sale of oil.
The law requires all Taxpayers (except the Enterprise) to submit two returns for any tax year to the Tax Authority on the forms prepared for this purpose:
- The provisional return is submitted within three months of the end of the tax year.
- The final return shall be submitted within six months of the end of the tax year. The audited accounts shall be accompanied by an auditor licensed by law to practice his profession of accounting and auditing in the Sultanate.
The Law requires the taxpayers to pay the tax due and payable, either as per the provisional or final return or as per the tax assessment on the date specified by the Law thereto. Non – payment of tax shall result in:
- Imposing an additional tax at 1% per month of the unpaid amount of tax due and payable. This tax is calculated for the period extending from the date on which the tax is due to the date of the payment.
- Collecting the tax forcibly by adopting the procedures specified for the administrative enforcement under the System for Collection of Taxes, Fees and other Amounts Payable to the Units of the Administrative Apparatus of the State.
The Excise Tax Transitional return has been uploaded to the portal, which can be accessed by logging into e-Services after login.
Any person who had in their possession excise goods at the end of 14 June 2019 must submit the Transitional return to report their stock of Excise Goods. The transitional return must be submitted by the end of July 15, 2019.
Any person who is required to submit the transitional return can find instructions on how to fill the transitional return in the Transitional Return Guide located in the following link.