Every taxpayers shall be registered with the Tax Authority through notification of the relevant data on the form prepared for this purpose within sixty days from the beginning of its establishment or commencement of the activity, whichever is earlier, whether by presenting the notification directly at the Tax Authority's headquarters or registering through its electronic portal.
In case of failure to register, the law shall authorize the Chairman to impose a fine not exceeding RO 2,000.
The tax rate upto tax year 2016 is as follows:
- The first thirty thousand Omani riyals nothing
- Exceeding R.O. 30,000 12%
The tax rate as of tax year 2017 tax year is as follows:
- Enterprise 3%
- Other Taxpayers 15%
Companies engaged in the field of oil exploration is 55% with respect to income from the sale of oil.
The law requires all Taxpayers (except the Enterprise) to submit two returns for any tax year to the Tax Authority on the forms prepared for this purpose:
- The provisional return is submitted within three months of the end of the tax year.
- The final return shall be submitted within six months of the end of the tax year. The audited accounts shall be accompanied by an auditor licensed by law to practice his profession of accounting and auditing in the Sultanate.
The Law requires the taxpayers to pay the tax due and payable, either as per the provisional or final return or as per the tax assessment on the date specified by the Law thereto. Non – payment of tax shall result in:
- Imposing an additional tax at 1% per month of the unpaid amount of tax due and payable. This tax is calculated for the period extending from the date on which the tax is due to the date of the payment.
- Collecting the tax forcibly by adopting the procedures specified for the administrative enforcement under the System for Collection of Taxes, Fees and other Amounts Payable to the Units of the Administrative Apparatus of the State.
Under the patronage of His Excellency the Undersecretary of the Ministry of Finance Nasser ِAl-Jashmi and the Secretary General for Taxation it was officially lunched the new Taxpayer Portal.